Wednesday 27 September 2017

♡Why I Stopped Wearing Circle Lenses♡

Hello! ♡
In today's post, I'll talk about something I never really thought I'd do- stop wearing circle lenses. Without even realising it, I became 'dependent' on them, and instead of making me enjoy J-Fashion more, they made me dread it. While there'll be nothing about nasty eye injuries, I hope you still find this an interesting read ~



                                                                          image  image  image

First- what are circle lenses, even?  Circle lenses are a type of contact lenses that originated in Asia. They are different from regular contacts, as they are made to make your eyes look bigger and more doll-like. They typically have a thick black ring called a limbal ring, and they go up to bigger diameters than regular contacts. That isn't to say that there aren't smaller and more subtle circle lenses, but most of them are pretty bold. 


So, why did I start wearing them? Well, when I got into JFashion, it seemed like pretty much everyone was wearing them. I was 13 at the time. I wanted to wear them ever since I found out about them at the age of 10, which is why I got regular clear lenses. Three years later, I had a really strong urge to at least try them, and I didn't feel complete without them. I guess it kinda turned into an obsession- I didn't have a bank account back then, so I had the difficulty of convincing my parents. After a few months of intense research, I finally ordered my first pair of lenses when I was 14, in early December. After tracking the package 20 times a day, they finally arrived, and goodness, I was so nervous to try them.
My first pair of lenses- Vassen Ruby Blue, with my crappy make-up back then ><
                                         
So, what then? After a day of soaking in lens solution, I could finally try the lenses on. The result was so shocking- I couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror! I instantly had huge, dolly eyes, and my dream of wearing circle lenses came true.
By nature, I'm pretty paranoid and overthink the smallest things too easily. So of course, I wasn't FULLY happy, even with circle lenses. I kept thinking... what if I got an eye injury I can't feel? A scratch? What if I go blind, or can't wear them ever again? That created a lot of stress for me, but, as my routine eye check-up proved, my worries were ridiculous and pointless. (Although if you wear/are thinking of wearing them, make sure you use them properly, or those worries might not be so pointless)


So while the lenses didn't damage my eyes, they made me miserable without even realising. I started to feel like I needed them, like I depended on them, and without them, I just wouldn't be kawaii enough. I started to feel that if I wanted to dress up in JFashion, I needed to put in circle lenses first. Now, circle lenses can be assholes. Not only do you have to handle them like sacred objects, but they can stick to your finger, fall in the sink, and of course- they might have a piece of lint on them that you missed on your thorough inspection, meaning you have to insert them again. That takes up time and energy, making me lose motivation when it comes to JFashion. It made me start to dread JFashion- just thinking about the lenses took away my enjoyment. 
14 year old me and my first look with circle lenses. You're welcome :*

There's also the stress of remembering to buy new solution every 6 months, a new case every 3 months, and replace solution every 30 days at least. For me that was pretty stressful and the costs add up. Lenses aren't really expensive- around $20 for a pair that lasts a year, making just under $1.7 per month. Solution and cases aren't expensive either, but if you wear lenses often then the costs of those can add up to another $20 per year. That makes $40- seemingly nothing, but when you're too young to work yet, those extra $40 or so can come in pretty handy. And that's for one pair of lenses- if you have two or more, lenses can get pretty expensive. 



I used to wear lenses once a month, and that was only because I had to replace the solution anyway. Basically, it started to become a chore, and I was reluctant to wear them. Will I wear lenses again in the future? Probably. I still feel like I have a love for them, but a break will reignite it. Right now my focus is on building my wardrobe, and the saved money can come in useful. Perhaps, when and if my love for lenses returns, and I get a job so my budget can accommodate them, I will wear them again. I don't think I'll completely stop wearing them forever, but a break is best right now. Remember- circle lenses are meant to be fun and a way of expressing yourself, not a chore!



Finally, is it possible to fully enjoy JFashion and be kawaii and have dolly eyes even without lenses? Yes! It may seem like everyone is wearing them, but trust me, many JFashion wearers don't, and they look adorable! Besides, it mostly comes down to the make-up. Many eye enlargement techniques exist and so do false lashes, which do wonders, so you can have doll eyes without circle lenses.

You can look adorable in JFashion and have dolly eyes even without lenses ^^ I'll post tutorials for lenses-free dolly eye make-up soon! 

Dolly make-up with circle lenses- Vassen Cloud Nine Blue, my second, current, and, for now, last pair.

Basically, I have become dependent on lenses, they have been stressing me out, they made me enjoy JFashion less and generally I need a break from them. However, there is always the possibility of coming back to them in the future ^^

Do you wear circle lenses?  If not, why? If yes, which colours and styles are your favourite? Let me know in the comments, and...
Have a lovely day!
~Milky ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

>